Antigone in the Amazon
For Antigone in the Amazon, Milo Rau and his team traveled to the Brazilian state of Pará, where the forests burn due to the expanding soy monocultures and where nature gets devoured by capitalism. On an occupied piece of land, in collaboration with MST (Movimento dos Trabalhadores Sem Terra), the world’s largest landless workers’ movement, they create an allegorical play about the violent devastations and displacements caused by the modern state, which places private property above the traditional right to land.
After the productions Orestes in Mosul in the former capital of the Islamic State and the Jesus film The New Gospel in the southern Italian refugee camps, Milo Rau and his team travel to the Amazon in Brazil to conclude their Trilogy of Ancient Myths.
This performance has been highly praised by critics:
✒ "Not one video that doesn't hit the mark. Not one word that does not enhance the images. Not one movement on stage that does not resonate with the images. The realisation sets in that theatre, when it moves so far out of its comfort zone, makes one experience and understand something that is so much bigger than itself, and than we are."
--- Le Monde (FR)
✒ "It is much, full, inventive, at times radically political and activist theatre, and finally quite depressing (...) Rau has brought the Greek resistance fighter of the past to the present, and turned it into uncompromising theatre art."
--- Volkskrant (NL) ****
✒ “While in circles with politically correct rubbish and cultural segregation, Rau's Antigone in the Amazon is scorned as culturally imperialistic, the evening plunges one into a strangeness that defies any accusation of cultural appropriation. Here, as with Montaigne, it is a matter of self-criticism in conflict. With Rau, this means: art can transcend violence, no matter where.”
--- Die Welt (GER)
- 18 Jul 23 — Le Monde (FR) - 'Op het Festival van Avignon plaatst Milo Rau "Antigone" in het hart van een woest kapitalisme'
- 17 Jul 23 — Le Monde (FR) - 'Milo Rau, regisseur: "Ik weet dat 'Antigone in de Amazone' de kleinburgerij zal ontstemmen".'
- 18 Jul 23 — Libération (FR) - '"Antigone in de Amazone": Milo Rau's lied van de aarde'
- 5 Jun 23 — Frankfurter Rundschau (DE) - 'Rau komt dicht in de buurt van een gouden standaard van politieke enscenering' (Antigone in de Amazone)
- 23 May 23 — NRC (NL) - ‘Antigone in de Amazone vraagt trefzeker aandacht voor de moord op landloze boeren' (Recensie Antigone in de Amazone ****)
- 22 May 23 — De Volkskrant (NL) - 'Antigone in de Amazone is indrukwekkend en bij vlagen activistisch theater ****' (Recensie Antigone in de Amazone)
- 16 May 23 — De Tijd (NL) - 'Poëzie van de dood weerklinkt in Antigone in de Amazone' (Recensie Antigone in de Amazone)
- 15 May 23 — The New York Times (EN) - 'Het drama is de Braziliaanse landoorlog' (Recensie Antigone in de Amazone)
- 15 May 23 — Het Nieuwsblad (NL) - 'Vijftig prominenten uit hele wereld hekelen vernietiging van Amazonewoud in open brief voor première van voorstelling in NTGent'
- 10 May 23 — De Volkskrant (NL) - 'Nieuwe voorstelling van Milo Rau levert protesten op'